- 40g plain flour, sieved
- 40g butter
- 450ml milk
- 50ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 whole nutmeg, ground
- 200g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 x 500g packet of macaroni, cooked in salt water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- Heat the milk in a pan on the hob, making sure the milk doesn't boil.
- Melt the butter in a seperate pan and add the flour, stir and cook for ½ to 1 minute. Slowly add the hot milk a little at a time making sure to incorporate the milk properly into the butter and flour mix. Continue until all milk has been added. Add the mustard and nutmeg and season.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and then the cream.
- Add the cooked macaroni and mix well. Put into the deep pan plate and leave to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top and cover with baking paper.
- Attach the deep pan plate to the grill and heat on medium. Cook for 5-6 minutes until piping hot all the way through and cheese on top is melted to your liking.